· March 4th – Board Members had tea with Lieutenant Governor Foote. Her Honour took an hour to listen to our stories and to learn more about lymphedema and our association.
· March 5th – Board Members had a meeting with Minister Haggie and his staff to review highlights of our awareness activities and achievements as well as our goals.
· March 6th – There was an Aquatic Lymphatic Therapy (ALT) demonstration by Certified ALT Instructors Terry Walsh-Oakley and Janet Montevecchi as well as an interview with Angela Barnes, LANL board member living with lymphedema, aired by NTV on March 10th
· March 6th – Building Lighting at Government House
· March 9th – There was a Lymphie Connections support group session focusing on “Nutrition and Lymphedema (Low Fat/Anti-inflammatory foods)”hosted by Chef Stephanie O’Brien (Red Seal Chef who lives with lymphedema) at Sobeys, Merrymeeting Road location. A store display was staffed by LANL Board Members.
The Lymphedema Association of NL (LANL) wishes to thank the following for signing Proclamations to recognize March 2020 as Lymphedema Awareness Month, and specifically March 6th as WORLD LYMPHEDEMA DAY:
• Conception Bay South
• Corner Brook
• Grand Falls Windsor
• Harbour Breton
• Logy Bay/Middle Cove/Outer Cove
• Mount Pearl
• Portugal Cove-St. Philips
• St. George’s
• St. John’s
• St. Lawrence
We also thank these municipalities where proclamations were agreed to but prevented by COVID- 19 interruption.
• Daniel’s Harbour
• Harbour Grace
• Hawke’s Bay
• Lark Harbour
• Port Blandford
• Pouch Cove
Public Service Announcements were submitted to VOCM, VOWR, CBC, COAST, KROCK and HITS FM radio stations during first week of March
·A Community Billboard Announcement was posted on Rogers Cable
LANL's Terry Walsh-Oakley, RMT, CLT spoke with VOCM's Open Line Host, Paddy Daly about Lymphedema Awareness Day.
Pictured (left to right): Bill Antle, Councillor, Christine Burke, LANL, Dave Aker, Mayor, Erin Pennell, LANL, laine Kennedy, LANL, Andrea Power, Councillor
Pictured (left to right): Christopher Stamp, Dept. of Health and Community Services, Elaine Kennedy, LANL, Fran Mowbray, LANL, Erin Pennell, LANL, seated: The Honourable Dr. John Haggie, Minister of Health and Community Services, Christine Burke, LANL, Angela Barnes, LANL
Aquatic Lymphatic Therapy at New World Fitness
Our youngest awareness advocate, Jenna Hopkins, and her teacher Ms. Cynthia Fillier, at Beachy Cove Elementary in Portugal Cove-St. Philip's. Jenna asked her class to wear teal to support World Lymphedema Awareness Day, and Ms. Fillier agreed. Thanks, Jenna. You are amazing!
Public Service Announcements:
Listen for our PSA! They can be heard throughout the month on VOCM, CBC, VOWR, COAST, KROCK, and HITS FM!
· Confederation Building – March 6th
· Government House – March 6th
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
· Mayor Dave Aker signs Proclamation
Wednesday, March 6th, 2019
· 0720 am: CBC Radio/TV interview with Gy Hopkins (person living with lymphedema) and his Family Doctor, Dr. Norah Duggan with host Fred Hutton
· 0930 am: VOCM interview with Terry Walsh Oakley (Certified Lymphedema and ALT therapist) on Open Line with host Paddy Daley
· 1030 am: Aquatic Lymphatic Therapy (ALT) demonstration at New World Fitness with NTV recording of same
· 1200 pm: Minister Haggie signs Provincial Proclamation
· Mayor of Port Blandford signs Proclamation
· 1730 pm: NTV coverage of World Lymphedema Awareness Day and ALT demonstration
· Confederation Building lit light blue to recognize World Lymphedema Awareness Day
· Government House lit light blue to recognize World Lymphedema Awareness Day
· Lymphie Connections (support group meeting) focusing on Nutrition and Lymphedema (Date/Location TBA)