Join LANL in supporting World Lymphedema Day and Lymphedema Awareness month!
World Lymphedema Day is an annual celebratory event to educate the world about lymphatic diseases. We look forward to you joining advocates from around the world in advocating for lymphedema. It’s important to use your voice to express the change you want to see in the world— and especially here in NL -- a world where lymphatic diseases are a global priority. What is LANL doing this year?
LANL is continuing to educate and raise awareness of lymphedema by:
What can you do?
Write or email your MHA asking for their support in re-establishing the Provincial Working Group on Lymphedema. See link below for sample text. The list of MHAs for NL can be found here: https://www.assembly.nl.ca/members/members.aspx
Ask your friends and relatives to write or email their MHA asking for their support in re-establishing the Provincial Working Group on Lymphedema. See link below for sample text The list of MHAs for NL can be found here: https://www.assembly.nl.ca/members/members.aspx
Contact your town council to ask whether they are proclaiming March 6 as World Lymphedema Day.
Contact your town council to ask whether they will light their building in blue to recognize March 6 as World Lymphedema Day.
• Lymphedema is a chronic disease caused by a buildup of lymph fluid. This happens when the lymphatic system is either faulty or damaged and cannot function as normal. It leads to chronic (long-lasting) swelling, most often in the arm or leg.
• Primary lymphedema occurs when a person is born with a faulty lymph system.
• Secondary lymphedema occurs when the lymph system is damaged by surgery, radiation treatment, or severe injury (e.g., burn or skin infection)..
• Impacts quality of life (e.g., loss of function in affected limb, negative body image, inability to work, chronic wounds, skin infections).
• Affects men, women, and children!
• 120 million affected worldwide. Over 1 million in Canada. More than 15,000 in NL!
• Lymphedema is chronic but manageable!
• There is no cure!
• Treatment includes:
o Self care (weight control, exercise, well balanced diet, skin care, self massage)
o Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) by a certified lymphedema therapist
o Compression Garments
o Education for patients/families and health care providers – Knowledge is Power
• Support/Access to Resources include
o Lymphedema Association of NL/Lymphie Connections (support group)
o Canadian Lymphedema Framework
o Pathways Magazine
o International Lymphedema Framework
Contact information for Lymphedema Association of Newfoundland and Labrador:
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: www.facebook.com/lymphnl and www.facebook.com/lymphieconnections
LANL’s mission is to support people living with lymphedema.
Please note we are not able to provide medical advice.
Copyright © 2021 Lymphedema Association of Newfoundland and Labrador - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy